Bedtime can quickly turn into a crisis around here with four kids. Luckily, the two older kiddos can shower and get dressed for bed on their own, and they even like to help with the younger two! We’re pretty blessed there :) We have a pretty consistent routine when it comes to Luca and Enzo’s bedtime, and we always have. Mostly because it makes for a happier evening and a peaceful sleep for all. I thought that I would share our routine with you in hopes that you’ll find something that might work for you, and I’d love if you’d share your routines with me!
- Bathtime – After dinner every night, the big kids get showers, and we get Luca and Enzo into the tub. Bathtime usually lasts awhile, as our kids LOVE baths. They play hard in there and it sufficiently wears them out for bed ;)
2. Diaper and Jammies – We let Luca pick his own jammies every night. Sometimes that includes a super hero mask. Don’t worry, we didn’t let him sleep in it ;) We’ve found that letting him make some of the decisions makes for a smoother bedtime. Enzo is just 18 months old so Mommy still gets to pick his jammies. And of course he gets a fresh diaper, and more often than not, Desitin Rapid Relief. We have dealt with diaper rash on our kiddos A LOT throughout the years, and Enzo is no exception. We put Desitin on him the second we notice a rash forming, and usually after just one application, it’s gone. It is so important to apply the Desitin at night since they will be going all night without a diaper change, and it helps to seal out the wetness. So it works great for preventing diaper rash as well!
3. Storytime – The best part of bedtime (in my opinion)! Luca and Enzo get two stories before bed, read by either Daddy, Mummy, or their big brother or sister. Luca loves getting to choose the books. His favorites right now are Iggy Peck, Architect and Click, Clack, Moo. Caleb and Kyleigh also read every night before bed.
4. Prayers – We all say our prayers together. Luca can say his prayers on his own now and it is precious to hear.
5. Lights out – Nightlights and Twilight Turtles are turned on, Allie (our Yellow Lab) snuggles in with Luca, and everyone gets kisses and hugs goodnight.
Now this bedtime routine might not work for everyone, but it’s what has been working for us for years. I would love to hear what your routines are!!