With today being the older kiddo’s last day of school, and our Disney trip fast approaching (2 weeks), I start to feel myself getting anxious. And excited. But mostly anxious. In the summer, we have the older kids for a week on, week off schedule. Being a stay at home mom, that means I have all four kids at home with me most days. I did this last summer for the first time, as Enzo was born last May, and I felt slightly overwhelmed most days. So, I decided that I’m going into this summer with a game plan. Here is my list of Summer Resolutions that (I hope) will help me stay sane!
1. Try new things – I want to start attending the Story Hour at our library and have the kids join the Summer Reading Program. I want to try out some of the area’s Splash Pads. I want to take the kids to the summer programs that the Zoo offers. We have a season pass, so we get a discount on the classes!
2. One hour of schoolwork every day – I started this three summers ago, but definitely fell off last summer after Enzo arrived. I make a binder for each kiddo, filled with worksheets and activities that are geared towards their grade-level. I use Education.com for the majority of the worksheets, and I am really pleased with what I’ve found on their website. You should definitely try them out!
3. Go camping – Our family LOVES camping. But we sometimes let summers go by without even going once. I would love to go at least 3 times this year. We take the kids to Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park and they absolutely love it! There is so much for kids to do, and the entire campground is family friendly. The campground that is nearest to home just added a water park, which was a huge hit with the kids last year. Jellystone has campgrounds all across the country, and I highly recommend checking them out!
4. Do a lemonade stand – Every summer, we do a lemonade stand to raise money for our Walk Now for Autism Speaks Team. It is one of the kid’s absolute favorite things to do, and we always raise a good bit of money as well! As you can see, last year, we extended the sales to candy and cookies as well ;)
5. Finish renovating the attic – Work has started to convert our attic into a bedroom for Kyleigh and storage space for holiday decorations and such. The goal is to have this done by Kyleigh’s birthday at the end of August. Charley is doing the majority of the work himself, so finding the time isn’t always easy. I will keep you posted with the progress, and also some ideas for Kyeigh’s room!
6. More date days – This Spring, the hubs and I were able to take advantage of some beautiful weather and grandma’s willingness to babysit, and had some wonderful date days. We went to flea markets, picnics at Ohiopyle, hikes through the woods, etc. Date days are the new date nights ;)
I would love to hear what your summer resolutions are!